2019/2020 Chinese Government Scholarship Programs
Hainan University is a comprehensive key university of Hainan Province, which was merged with the former South China University of Tropical Agriculture and the former Hainan University in August, 2007. And it is jointly constructed by Hainan provincial government, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance.It is a State Key University of “211 Project”, a State Key University of Midwest China “One Province, One University” Project, and a “Double First-Class” university project in Discipline Construction. Prospective students and scholars from foreign countries are welcome to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship to study at Hainan University!
The Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) Bilateral Program has been established by MOE in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between the Chinese government and the governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions or relevant international organizations. It provides both full scholarships and partial scholarships for international students and scholars, including those who wish to pursue a Bachelor’s degree, a Master’s degree, a Doctoral degree, or to study Chinese language as a full-time student.
I. Supporting Categories
The Bilateral Program supports undergraduate students, graduate students, general scholars and senior scholars. Please consult the dispatching authorities of your home country for the categories available.
II. Scholarship Coverage
The Bilateral Program provides both full scholarships and partial scholarships.
III. Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply: Apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country.
When to Apply: Between early January and early April. Please consult the dispatching authorities for the specific deadline of each year.
IV. Application Procedure
Step 1 – Apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country for the CGS opportunity.
Step 2 – After being recommended by the dispatching authorities as an eligible candidate (you will receive an Award Letter for CGS Candidate), apply to Hainan University for the Pre-admission Letter.
Step 3 -Complete the online application with the CGS Information System (http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihuaor http://www.campuschina.organd click “Application Online” to log in), submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy. You should consult the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country for Instructions of CGS Information System and Agency Number;
Step 4 – Submit all of your application documents to the dispatching authorities of your home country before the deadline.
Chinese University Program (For Master & Doctor only)
Chinese University Program is a full scholarship for designated Chinese universities and certain provincial education offices in specific provinces or autonomous regions to recruit outstanding international students for graduate studies in<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″>China.
I. Supporting Categories
1. This scholarship is only offered for graduate and post graduate programs. Scholarship duration: two to three years for master’s programs, and three years for doctoral programs. Please visit the website http://gjwhjl.hainu.edu.cn/e/action/ListInfo/?classid=62 for programs information.
2. The scholarship is unavailable for applicants: (a) who were studying inChinabetween September 2018 to June 2019; (b) students who apply to study their native language inChinaor a third country language such as English, French and etc.
3. Applicants who apply for courses instructed in Chinese must have a good command of the Chinese language. If their Chinese proficiency has not reached the required level (HSK level 4), they are required to take one-year remedial Chinese language courses and pass the relevant test prior to beginning studies in their specialties.
4. The duration of the scholarship will be specified in the Admission Letter, covering both the major study and the Chinese language study, and cannot be extended in general.
II. Scholarship Coverage
The Chinese University Program provides a full scholarship which covers: tuition, accommodation, and comprehensive medical insurance. The Chinese University Program also provides a monthly stipend (master’ s students: CNY 3,000 per month; doctoral students: CNY 3,500 per month).
III. Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply: Please consult and submit the application documents to the Office for International Students’ Admissions & Scholarships Program, College of International Cultural Exchange, Hainan University.
When to Apply: between March 1 to April 15, 2019.
- be a foreign passport holder
- be in good health
- not be a registered student in a Chinese university at the time of application (If you’ve graduated from a Chinese university and it’s been more than one year since graduating you’re still eligible).
- be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs
- be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs
There is only Chinese-taught program available at present. Applicants for Chinese-taught programs should provide an HSK level 4 or above certificate. Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency must take Chinese language training courses for one year to reach the language requirements before major studies.
V. Application Procedure
Step1 – Complete the online application procedure at CGS Information System
Go to http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in, submit online the completed Application Form for the Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy.
The agency number of Hainan University is 10589.
Step 2 – The completed application documents in duplicate must be submitted via post to the Office for International Students’ Admissions & Scholarships Program, College of International Cultural Exchange, Hainan University before April 15.
(Please check Application Documents for the detailed checklist below.)
VI. Application Documents（in duplicate）
1. Application Form for the Chinese Government Scholarship （can be filled out in Chinese or English）;
2. Valid Passport Copy;
3. Notarized highest diploma;
Prospective diploma recipients must submit an official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date, the original certificate should be provided after admission. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translation.
4. Notarized Academic transcripts （written in Chinese or English);
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translation.
5. A Study Plan or Research Proposal written in Chinese or English ( a minimum of 1000-1500 words);
6. Two Recommendation Letters written in Chinese or English; Applicants must submit two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor;
- The physical examination must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- The form must be fully completed and have the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital, a sealed photograph of the applicant.
- Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered invalid.
- The Physical examination results are valid for only 6 months, schedule your physical examination accordingly.
8. A valid HSK certificate (Applicants for Chinese-taught programs), or a valid IELTS or TOEFL certificate (Applicants for English-taught programs);
9. Certificate of Non-Criminal Record.
10. CV (including publication list if available)
1. Application materials which do not meet the above requirements will be regarded as invalid and will not be accepted;
2. All application materials need to be submitted in duplicate (one original & one copy). Application materials without original notarized certificates will be regarded as invalid and will not be accepted;
3. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations;
4. All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 1 to 10 and be posted to International Admissions Office, College of International Cultural Exchange, Hainan University. Application materials will not be returned regardless of the outcome of admission.
5. The office will not send email to every applicants, Please contact us if you need confirmation.
VII. Scholarship Confirmation
1. Hainan University will review the application documents and decide the nominated candidates.
2. Hainan University will deliver materials of applicants who pass the HU review to CSC and wait for the final admission results, normally around July (the exact date is decided by CSC each year). Nominated candidates with the approval from CSC will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship.
3. Hainan University will announce the admission result officially on website, email and post Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) to scholarship winners in July.
4. Registration: Beginning of September, 2019 (specified in the Letter of Admission).
5. Scholarship students must participate in an annual scholarship evaluation. Scholarship holders who fail to meet the requirements will have their scholarship cancelled.
6. Scholarship recipients shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
7. The Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the specified deadline.